The old stone mill, erected in 1856 at the intersection of East Railroad and Lafayette streets, has housed the Stone Mill Museum since the 1960s. It will be opening for the summer season from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, April 7. It’s the same weekend as the Civil War encampment at James Knights Park, 1001 N. Latham St., Sandwich.
Visitors are welcome to view four floors of displays that include parlor and bedroom arrangements from the past, the original ticket booth used at the Sandwich Opera House, goods and machinery manufactured in Sandwich, photographs of people and locations from the past, old newspapers, antique farm machinery and Native American objects artfully arranged.
The Stone Mill Museum is operated by the Sandwich Historical Society. The public is invited to tour the museum from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays, April through September. Members of the historical society act as tour guides. Admission is free; donations are appreciated.